While wearing braces, we encourage you to avoid foods that are hard, sticky, or high in sugar, as these foods can damage the wires, get stuck in the brackets, and increase your risk of tooth decay. Our orthodontist, Dr. Randy Wright, has compiled a list of foods to avoid while undergoing orthodontic treatment.
Examples of Hard Foods:
- Hard foods, such as nuts, hard candies, bagels, pizza crust, Jolly Ranchers, and hard taco shells
- Chewy foods, including bagels and licorice
- Crunchy foods, like popcorn, ice, and chips
- Sticky foods, including chewing gum, caramel candies, and chewy candy like Starbursts, Tootsie Rolls, Sugar Daddies, and toffee
- Foods you bite into, such as apples, carrots, celery, and corn on the cob (please enjoy these healthy snacks cut into bite-size pieces)
Examples of Sticky Foods:
- Chewing gum
- Caramel candies
- Tootsie Rolls
- Sugar Daddies
Minimize sugary foods and drinks:
- Ice cream
- Sweetened tea
- Sugary drinks
This is not an exhaustive list, so for more information, please contact Wright Orthodontics at 630-208-1200. We also encourage you to quit any negative habits, such as biting fingernails or chewing on pens and pencils, as these can cause damage to your braces. Check your braces regularly for any broken, loose, or bent wires and broken or loose brackets.
We want the best success for your orthodontic treatment in Batavia, Illinois. Following these guidelines will ensure that success and help give you a perfect, beautiful smile!