Orthodontics is a special branch of dentistry whose focus is the correction of jaws and teeth that are positioned improperly. When the teeth are crooked or crowded, they are harder to sufficiently clean, so they are more prone to cavities. Misaligned teeth or bad bites are referred to as malocclusion. There are different types of malocclusion that can be corrected with orthodontic treatment. These include:
– Underbite – The lower teeth sit in front of the upper teeth.
– Overbite – The upper teeth sit too far in front of the lower teeth in an overbite.
– Crossbite – When one or more of the upper teeth sit inside of the lower teeth when you or your child bites down. A crossbite can happen in the front and/or sides of the mouth.
– Open Bite – When the back teeth bite together, there is a space between the side and/or front teeth.
– Spacing – Missing teeth or teeth that just don’t fill the space in the jaw cause gaps or spaces between the teeth.
– Crowding – When there is not enough room in the jaw for the teeth to fit comfortably, the teeth may overlap or sit too close together.
– Misplaced Midline – The midline of the lower front teeth does not line up with the midline of your upper front teeth properly.
If you or your child are suffering from malocclusion, Dr. Randy Wright and our team are here to help! Even if you don’t notice signs of malocclusion in your smile or your child’s smile, there may still be a slight alignment issue that our orthodontist can help with.
We welcome you to contact Wright Orthodontics at 630-208-1200 today to learn more and to schedule a visit with our orthodontist in Batavia, Illinois. We look forward to helping you reach a straighter, more attractive, healthier smile.